1rst Time Foiling

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
Robesy
WSC Contributor

1rst Time Foiling

Postby Robesy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments about foils. Went for the Naish because it seemed to fit what I was looking for - lower wind, stable, easy to learn. Think Silent Sports is getting a bunch of the Pryde boards/foils in mid-July at really good prices.

Went for first session over Canada Day weekend in Kingston. 10-14 knots according to KYC sensor. Poorly rigged 6.4 North Duke (forgot proper extension).

Very fun - getting flying is not too hard. If you can plane, you can fly. Once flying its different. Super sensitive to any change in foot pressure. Quiet. Board super loose. Can change direction with very little effort. Staying flying a challenge but should come with practice. A lot like learning to plane.

I think foiling is way better than windsurfing in 10-14 knot wind. Will get me more time on the water in conditions I wouldn’t go out in or would need an 8.5 sail. I could have used my 5.8 (properly rigged) and been fine.

Patrick
WSC Contributor

Re: 1rst Time Foiling

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 pm

"I think foiling is way better than windsurfing in 10-14 knot wind. Will get me more time on the water in conditions I wouldn’t go out in or would need an 8.5 sail. I could have used my 5.8 (properly rigged) and been fine"

Sounds like fun! But I doubt I could waterstart a 5.8 in 10-14 knots.
May the wind be with you!

Patrick

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

Super fun, a little hard to control flying but everyone I talk to says it just takes 4 or 5 sessions to get used to flying.

My board is "uphaulable" if that's a word so haven't thought about waterstarting. I have heard or read about people kicking the foil when trying to waterstart so am avoiding that for now.

Overall if the options for sailing are big board, big sail (8.5) and great technique (which I dont really have) or 120 litre board, 5.8 sail and my ok technique, then going to do the latter.

TommyB
WSC Rookie

Postby TommyB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Good on you with your first time foiling. I have ordered a NP RS One Foil from Silent Sports. $700.
Was going to build my own foil, but it was going to take too long and still cost a significant amount of money.
Just sourcing a 130L to 150L board for my large 200lb frame! Then I am in business!!

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow, sounds like fun.
Do you think it would work well with my formula board 162L.
Have not looked at the pricing of foils much but $700 for the rs:one seem alright? Seems like they are becoming more affordable.
Has anyone tryed bigger sails with a foil say around 10m.

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Perchased the rs:one foil today. Screws seem pritty short at 45mm long considering i us 70 OR 90mm long ones my formula fin and foil screw threads are a lot different, imperial?. The mast foil has a continuous thread compared to a barrel nut. Plan on using it with a formula board. Can not test it out until the weekend. Hope the screws are long enough! Hate to think they would sell you too small of a screw for your board considering the amount you pay. :?

TommyB has the foil arrived yet can you comment on screws being long enough for your board. Has anyone had this problem before?

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm

I haven’t heard about screw length issue before but I have heard people talk about using a leash to attach foil to board in case a screw fails.

Regarding your question about sail size, I think that the rule of thumb is 2 square metres smaller than what you would normally use for given conditions. I weigh 185 and used a 6.4 and that was plenty for 10-14 knots. On top of that I brought the wrong extension so my mast was 10 cm shorter than needed so the sail was all bunched up at the cutout for the boom. I can’t see a scenario where you would need a 10 m sail. Not sure how much lift the Pryde foil gives versus the Naish one I have.

Glad to see lots of people trying out the foil.

SuperG
WSC Contributor

Postby SuperG » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:06 pm

If water starting, yes, you have to mind the foil and it will painfully remind you of that. However, if you are able to water start, you are likely using too large a sail. While this will get you going, you will be letting the sail way out while riding. This is why it is important that, at least when learning, you have a board with enough volume to float your weight.

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Finally got out for my first foil.Had to buy 100 mm hex head screw 1/4.
Foil: NP rs:one AL convertible 
Board: 08' SB 162 
Sail: 7.5 Ezzy infinity, rigged slightly for lighter winds. 

Fist time I was out winds were 15 gusting 24km. Felt really freaky when I did start to fly, it only lasted about 2-3 seconds before I had a shaky landing. I had a minor catapult near the end of that outing. I was flying hook in (bad idea). 

Second time out winds were lighter 10km gusting to 18km only planed in the gusts and had to pump hard mostly quickshort pumps as your body is more upright then normal. Had a few flights that lasted 5-6 before I returned to the water. 
My finding were; you need to keep your weight back to generate lift from the foil, I had all straps in the most outboard position but used the chicken strap in the middle and placed my front foot just behind the front strap still need to play with foot positioning may try without back strap next time maybe. 
My mast foot was almost all the way back ( covering the serial number) which is where I normally put it, as the track position on this formula board seems too far forward IMO. It is tricky to keep flight probebly techniqe. The foil was in the box pritty snug and I noticed some small fiberglass flakes on the inside front of the fin box cleaned away loss bits. Hopefully the boxes intagrity is still ok? Will keep an eye on it but i did not see anything super conserning, Maybe it is just the box fiberglass finish? 

Overall super cool. Can't wait for my next flight!

Patrick
WSC Contributor

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Windsofbalsam and Robesy, how is the foiling going? You guys got me interested and I have been looking at the RS: One convertible board and foil at Silent Sports.
May the wind be with you!

Patrick

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:11 am

I am not getting out as much as I want but I still think foiling is great.

I was lucky enough to try 2 of the Gofoil foils. I think that they were the Maliko (sp?) model. The bigger front wing was giant was probably 12-18 inches wider than the board so had to be careful. Was really loose/turny (I think people surf on these) and was too much lift - hard to keep the foil in the water.

I switched to the smaller Gofoil Maliko wing and that was better - super fun and I am getting longer flights. Also able to recover when the front wing comes out of the water and you have a hard touch down - its like landing a jump hard on the nose of the board. No harness or footstraps yet, need more control.

Also ran into a windsurf friend who has the Starboard setup which I think is pretty good. He is out more than me and says its not too bad a learning curve. Its just time on the water to learn how to keep the board flying.

Couple other things - don’t force flying, it will come. The foils I have tried come up on their own and all you need to do is sail in a straight line at a moderate speed. Don’t look down. Its a strange experience being that high off the water but you will lose balance as soon as you do look down.

Bottom line, I think foiling is great, highly recommend if you like windsurfing.

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Finally got out for my second flight last weekend. Winds were light 5-8 knots. Set boom higher then the first time 3/4 way up mast cutout. Got flying in the gusts with pumping. I also shortened my harness lines up during my session and found it way better being able to get the rig closer to you also allowing you to stand more up right. Had my first real big crash, the foil left the water... my mast is 85cm but when it left the water it felt like 10 ft. Nose dug in to the water as I got flung to the side somewhere(I was not hooked in) probably looked worse then it actually was. I had two mast protectors that had sewed together on my mast below the boom which may have helped? No damage..so works great! Can post pic of it on the weekend if interested. Only got out for two hours because of the light wind on the weekend. But had a good flight and am finding my comfort position. Finding keeping your weight on your back leg and lifting your front one helps keep the flight in light stuff. Am getting BETTER every time out. Can give better feedback when i get a few more flights under my belt. wish I could get out more thought. It's toooooo fun.

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Forth time out.
More wind this time.
Quick vid:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oBF6ov ... p=drivesdk

I have noticed the speed isn't much faster when flying considering way less drag, but it seems to early in the game to tell.

Interested to hear others progress so far.

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Nice video. How windy was it? Also, where were you sailing?

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:46 pm

I believe it was 10-12 knots SE on Balsam lake near the south side of lake. It is a fairly gusty lake as it is the highest lake in the trent severn waterways, it is 598 ft above lake ontario. Sorry for the low quality vid :oops: