Technique Question #2: Sail Trim

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
Robesy
WSC Contributor

Technique Question #2: Sail Trim

Postby Robesy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi, I am looking for advice on sail trim.

Imagine the wind is blowing from 12 o'clock and I am sailing at a perfect right angle to the wind (from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock). Planing speed, say 20 mph. Also imagine I am going at the exact speed of the wind. As a result, the apparent wind should be coming over the deck of the board from 10:30 or at a 45 degree angle to my path.

How should I trim the sail? If I draw a line from the clew through the mast, should that point exactly into the eye of the apparent wind? Or should it point at 10 to expose more of the sail to the apparent wind. Or something else?

thanks in advance everyone, these answers help a lot in terms of trying to improve.

georgewright
WSC Local

Re: Technique Question #2: Sail Trim

Postby georgewright » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:03 pm

I'd point your clew to about 4:00... wind needs somewhere to bleed off... but probably no exact answer. depends on how powered up you are... but any closer to 3:00 you'll probably be choking, ie not efficient... the more overpowered you are, the closer to 5:00 your sail might be...