rigging help, battens and uphaul

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

rigging help, battens and uphaul

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm

I've put tension on the downhaul but some of the battens seem to stick out at the mast end on the wrong side. I can't get any more tension on the boom outhaul either. Tried twisting them round also. Will these just straighten when there's wind?

Also, I looped the uphaul through the 2 holes on the extension - is that the correct place? Where do I attach it to on the boom?

imageupload

FISH
WSC Local

Re: rigging help, battens and uphaul

Postby FISH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 pm

I think maybe someone ought to show you how to rig your sails, rather than trying to explain it over the internet.

I'll try a couple suggestions:
- If your battens are sticking out beyond the mast, you are not giving nearly enough downhaul. It is the downhaul that does the most (by bending the mast), and the outhaul that simply tunes after that.
- Uphaul cords tend to have a bungee loop on the bottom, and a normal cord loop on the top. You need to tie the cord around your boom head in some fashion. Some boom heads make it easy, others not. The bungee end simply gets looped around the extension once the rigging is done, before the board is attached. Those holes you threaded through are not the right place at all. Those holes are needed to attach the board via the mast base.

Check this out for some general pointers:
http://howtowindsurf101.com/rig-windsurf-sail/

If you live somewhere where someone can show you all this, I think it will work a lot better.
FISH
KC-79

qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Thanks. I watched some youtube videos. I figured the holes were for the US style base very soon after :)
I've downhauled as far as I can by hand and still can't get one of the battens to show on the right side of the mast.

qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:35 pm

OK. Downhauled further using a wooden stick to help pull.
It's almost corrected now. However, I need to push down on the sail when it's on the ground to move it, like if some wind filled it.
Even more downhaul?Image

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Looks ok to me.
You can shorten the mast base so there is not so much ropes left over when done.
The wind will fill the sail like your hand pressure does.
Will look flat on land and fill in once on water.

Jonathan
WSC Contributor

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Hard to tell from the angles you've taken with the camera, but you're getting there! Can you take a picture of the whole sail from the point of view of the bottom (See picture Picture below - this is my Ezzy 5.8 Rigged for lighter winds. See how the top of the sail is floppy? That's to let some wind out so it doesn't just flip me over.).
IMG_20150525_204205.jpg
Your boom looks too high... Is your boom all the way at the top of the cutout? That's preventing it from outhauling all the way, as it's shortening the length of the boom (to some degree). Put the boom just at the middle of the cutout (or a bit above that). Higher for lighter winds, lower for stronger winds - but the middle is your start point typically. Looks to me like you need a little more downhaul and a little more outhaul. Here's a picture of my downhaul and outhaul on my 6.7 Neil Pryde Fusion.
IMG_20140816_163642.jpg
IMG_20140816_163047.jpg
It's normal for the battens not to rotate really easily, it takes a little gust of wind. When I tack, beach start or water start, I always give my sail a little YANK to pop the battens.

Watch this video me @ 0:06, 0:18, 4:29 and you'll see me give the boom a tug causing the sail to rotate and pop the battens past the mast. If it's really windy it'll usually do it on its own.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The wind is about to be a very important part of your life..."
- Jem Hall

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Qwerty - from your photo, it is hard to tell if you need more downhaul. Need to see the whole sail, specifically the top half of the sail to know whether or not you've got enough downhaul. You might be close. All those little wrinkles along the batten sleeve can be eliminated by tensioning the battens. Most sails these days have fixed batten tensioners. Back in the day, tightening/loosening the battens was part of the rigging/derig process - nowadays though, you just tighten em and leave em.

Jonathan posts some good stuff there. As you can see, his downhaul and outhaul are both properly threaded and look nice and tidy.
I would say you want your downhaul to get you the grommet down to within 1" or so of your extension pulleys. This gives you a bit of range to reef on it even further if you are getting overpowered. Also notice the floppage in the upper leach of the sail in his photo - that is what you want. Every sail has its own telltale signs that it is rigged properly, but all sails these days are intended to have some floppage up there for the even the minimum downhaul setting. You should probably expect to have floppage in the first and second panels from the top.
FISH
KC-79

qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

Postby qwertyjjj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm

When the sail pops, where should the middle batten be in relation to the mast? Should it be tucked under it a little bit or should it be fully away from the mast?

Secondly, when I sued to sail, we had ribbons/yarns on the top of the mast and sails to help tell wind direction and trimming. No-one uses these on the top of the mast for windsurfing so what's the easy way to tell wind direction when it's a really really light wind?

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:27 pm

It's OK if the batten pocket is touching the mast a bit. Maybe others can chime in but I think only if the sail is rigged with too much outhaul would you get no contact.

The wind direction. If it is super super light (i.e. no wind), no need for the sail in the first place. For light wind, just hold up the sail with the uphaul, get it vertical, and the sail will quickly tell you which way the wind is blowing. It'll point straight downwind.
FISH
KC-79

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Sounds like you should just get on the water and practice.
Keyboard windsurfing does not work for the most part.

riNR
WSC Local

Postby riNR » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 pm

fathom wrote:Sounds like you should just get on the water and practice.
Does so....
http://www.windsurfing-the-game.com

qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

Postby qwertyjjj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm

fathom wrote:Sounds like you should just get on the water and practice.
:)
I did and it was difficult to find the wind direction as it was very light. Obvious answer is go out in heavier winds.
Instructor was adamant that if you head across the wind first and then upwind it would be fine.