cannot remove fin barrel nut

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

cannot remove fin barrel nut

Postby qwertyjjj » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:16 pm

One of the fin barrel nuts (for the screw) seems to have lost its thread so I thought I'd get a replacement and also replace the one on the 2nd fin whilst I'm at it. However, I can't seem to remove it. I tried turning it with a screwdriver, but the metal just breaks off (looks like it's a bit corroded). I tried putting a screwdriver on it and then hammering it but it won't drop out.
Any ideas?
Also, is there anywhere I can get these for cheap? The local windsurf shop wants to charge $7 for each of them (just for a small piece of metal).

riNR
WSC Local

Re: cannot remove fin barrel nut

Postby riNR » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:44 pm

$7 ?!?!?! Holy smokes!!! Are they nuts? They expect you to pay $7 for a small piece of precisely machined expensive brass to protect a $150 fin from ripping the fin box out of a $2000+ board. I'd hold out too. You could probably go to a metal supply place buy and over sizes piece of brass rod, and mill it down to a thousandth over the hole size, then precisely center punch on the edge of that dowel, drill it out and then tap it, then ream the edge slightly. That would probably only require a $1K+ in tools and a couple of hours or time, plus gas.

drewb70
WSC Local

Postby drewb70 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Metric thread barrel nuts are hard to find, you can go to sae and get them from Lowes but then your buying stainless bolts. 7 bucks isn't bad all things considered. As to removing them you will need a press they are pressed in. Hammering will only damage your fin. If you don't have a press then you can try drilling them out and epoxying the new ones in. I've done the later.

jroy1111
WSC Rookie

Postby jroy1111 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Use a socket and a vise to remove fin barrel.

qwertyjjj
WSC Contributor

Postby qwertyjjj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Can you press them out from either side or is it only one way?