NP Combat Wave Sail 5.3 Suitable for Freeride?

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
FletcherG
WSC Contributor

NP Combat Wave Sail 5.3 Suitable for Freeride?

Postby FletcherG » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi guys. I have been searching for a Severne Gator or Blade as Andy suggested, but no luck finding a 5.2/5.4 range yet.

Would the NP wave sail also be an appropriate substitute? I would match it with a NP mast.

I am an intermediate sailor trying to learn to pivot gybe better before moving on to carve gybes and using a 125L JP funboard. I way 125 pounds and need a new sail for winds over 35 KM. I have an old 5.0 cambered North sail.

Supposed to be 35 km winds from the South on West Lake tomorrow so may give the old sail a try tomorrow to remind myself how a cambered sail feels. :D I actually prefer them for water starts.

Keep cool, this humidity is brutal.

Lynn

FISH
WSC Local

Re: NP Combat Wave Sail 5.3 Suitable for Freeride?

Postby FISH » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 pm

The combat is their medium-power wave sail, I think. But I also think the Blade is Severne's med-power sail too? So perhaps comparable to something you are already looking for.
I wouldn't hesitate at all to go with a wave sail for your 5.3. The simplicity of not dealing with cams I feel totally outweighs the benefits - just personal opinion though.
FISH
KC-79

old whitey
WSC Local

Postby old whitey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:09 pm

All you need really is a wavesail unless you're racing. Especially as you're a lightweight. I weigh 190 and only use wavesails.
Not sure how good West Lake will be in a pure south or south east. Maybe if you are sailing it from the Wellington side you might get some clean wind. Good luck. Going to have to keep my eyes open for you sailing sometime (I live in the County).

FletcherG
WSC Contributor

Postby FletcherG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Yeah. Got Amine's used 5.4 NP Combat sail. :D

Couldn't use it yesterday as it has created a domino effect as I only have SDM masts. Now I just need to find a used RDM 400 cm mast and RDM mast extension. The equipment search continues!!

Thanks for everyone's advice. It was very helpful.

Lynn