What is a 'Power Wave' Sail?

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
FletcherG
WSC Contributor

What is a 'Power Wave' Sail?

Postby FletcherG » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:47 pm

My search for an appropriate 5.3 sail continues.

I could purchase a 5.4 Pointe 7 SADO wave sail? The reviews say it is best for a heavy weight, which I am not.

As I will be using this for freeride, does this make a difference, or is that just something the experts would notice?

Lynn

old whitey
WSC Local

Re: What is a 'Power Wave' Sail?

Postby old whitey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:59 pm

"Power" wave sail usually means it is the brand's more stable (almost always five-battened) sail for waves/manueverability, and that it usually has a bigger "pocket" or belly to provide more pull in the same amount of wind than the brand's more wave-riding/flicky sails (5/4/ or 3 batten) which are usually flatter and de-power more easily. The power waves don't spill the wind quite so easily.
If you are predoninently using it for freeriding, or purely onshore wave use, I would argue it is the type of wavesail you are probably after (given an appropriate mast etc.).
They tend to give slightly better planing and have generally larger wind ranges due to their stability.
There - my two cents. (now we can await all the contradictory opinions on the way).

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 pm

I agree with Old Whitey 100%. Power is good. All it means is you'll get to ride it earlier and switch down smaller sooner.
I don't think maneuver oriented wavesails make as much sense for us. The literature always says something like those are for "more surf style, for those who like to depower on the wave and just surf basically." Not us generally speaking.
FISH
KC-79

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I agree with Old Whitey on his description of a power wave sail. To me it means 3 things: 5 battens, planes earlier than other wave sail (4 and 3 batten), and is easier to control when over powered.

I don't know the brand that you are thinking of but I would recommend being careful to match the proper mast for your sail and fin size for that sail. All these things tend to work together to maximize performance, range and time on the water.

Windjunky
WSC Local

Postby Windjunky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 am

Here are two little video clips from Maui Sails explaining the difference between their Power/On-Shore Wave Sail (Global) vs their Side Shore Wave Sail (Legend) both are 5 batten sails. We sail both of these sails the Global in a 6.8 for just plain free riding, It has allot of grunt and pull in the sail a little heavy in the hands but also has amazing power for blasting around… We also sail 5 Legends from 4.2 up to 6.1… these are our favorite sails for bump and jump high wind sailing we find them to be a very forgiving sail, durable, very light in the hands and easy to transition especially in high winds.

There are two vids on this page explaining the difference between the two…

Legend vs Global
5 batten vs 4 batten

http://www.mauisails.com/sail.php?id=165
Last edited by Windjunky on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 am

...and now you have another good choice - the 5.3 Neil Pryde Firefly that Amine just listed (littledude)!
He comes down to SBX on good days, so you can probably have it delivered to the County in the fall.
FISH
KC-79

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 am

At 135-140lbs, my opinion is a bit more divided.

I like a more grunty sails for the very light wind but that will depower quickly in a gust (eg Sailworks Retro which is very tunable).

Around 6.0, it varies depending on the board I'm using.

However from 5.0 down, unlike those 'heavier' weights above, I like a 'gutless' sails as I need more the depower in the gusts and at our lighter weights we don't need the grunt to get going even in onshore conditions, hence my preference for more comfortable sailing in higher wind with the likes of Neil Pryde Zone and Hot Sails Superfreaks.

A softer mast than recommended also helps in the gusts for lighter riders.
Most of the tests are for 'normal' weight riders (~170lbs?)

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I think if this is your first sail in that size, you will get used to whatever you get and probably can't go too wrong.

My view is if you get a power sail, it just means you can sail it in a touch less wind than say a maneuver oriented sail. All in all though, you are probably jumping down from a 6.0, so whether you get a 5.2 or 5.4, power sail or other, they'll all do roughly the same thing and you will learn lots from just getting out in those winds.

I know it is difficult not to over analyse a decision like this, I do it too, but I think any size will suit you and help you learn a ton by allowing you to sail in stronger winds that you have been able too.

For the record, I am 175lbs and generally like to be on the smallest sail size I can be, so that makes my decision easy - power is good.
FISH
KC-79

Zeni
WSC Contributor

Postby Zeni » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:22 pm

At 160-165 I also love power wave sails. I have been sailing severne blades and niash forces for years and love them for basically all conditions that we get. Whether the sail is for wave riding or just blasting and trying to make gybes, the ability to sail a little bit smaller sail means that it has less swing weight and is easier to flip and control. I would not be concerned about the number of battens, 4 or 5 is fine.
cheers
David