Board nose dives-newbie

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
dobe24
WSC Rookie

Board nose dives-newbie

Postby dobe24 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:00 pm

hello all
A friend of ours had and old wind surfer in his garage, so Im borrowing it for a bit while they r away.
Im a big guy 6'4 240, I can stand on the board with my feet fore and aft of the mast and the board still floats :), if go to far forward the nose starts to sink.
Im able to get the sail up and get moving across the wind, but typically either i round up into the wind or the nose plows under the water.
I do try to put the mast more forward to avoid rounding up, but it doesnt always work.
would moving the the mast fore or aft help me?
I alsow try to move my weight back on the board to bring the nose up when im going but nose still tends to go under.
obviously im not at the point of using a harness or foot straps, just learning.
I sadly dont have the time to drive and go and take lessons,(nothing close to me). I did take a lesson 20 years ago and was able to get and turn, but that was about it.
And im sure a larger wider board would be easier for learning, how ever im somewhat determined to learn on this board and see how much i would use it.(aka im really cheap)
thanks for any advice.

chrispbbb
WSC Rookie

Re: Board nose dives-newbie

Postby chrispbbb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey dobe24,
I am fairly novice myself and been through the same problems. However, being a newbie also, my advice may not be the best.
I am 6'5" 220lbs. So I am not sure if these problems, and answers, are unique to bigger/heavier guys.
For rounding up into the wind, I usually had this problems after an uphaul or tack before getting up some speed. The key for me was hanging off the boom more, thus having more mast-foot pressure, which drives the nose of the board away.
For nose dives, make sure to keep the front front beside or back of the mast, not in front of the mast. Keep the front foot light, with more weight on the back foot, and move the mast back a bit if still nose diving.
Hope that helps. It worked for me.
Cheers,
Chris

chrispbbb
WSC Rookie

Re: Board nose dives-newbie

Postby chrispbbb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Just wanted to add to my comments below for any future newbie looking for advise, based on some newbie experience and lessons learned today.
To address the nose turning upwind:
When the wind is stronger, being more overpowered, I will rig (my only sail, 8.2m2) with more downhaul.
This will move the center-of-effort back, causing more tendency to turn upwind if everything else is constant.
Therefore, moving the mast a bit forward helps with keeping the center-of-effort relative to the center-of-resistance constant, and avoiding the tendency to turn upwind more.
Regarding nose dive:
Under stronger wind, once underway my weight is further back, so moving the mast forward is negated and nose dive is avoided.
Cheers