Sail Quiver Addition Question

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
FletcherG
WSC Contributor

Sail Quiver Addition Question

Postby FletcherG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Guys.

I was over powered yesterday on West Lake sailing an old cambered 5.0. Definitely not in any sort of control! Once I got going I didn't know how to slow the board down so would just let go and launch myself backwards. :o :) I could barely manage if I didn't manually pop the camber and used the sail inside out.

I have a 5.4. How much smaller should I go? Maybe a 4.7? I weigh 126 pounds and have no interest in going any faster than what I was doing yesterday.

I think it reached 23-25 knots yesterday - much more than wind guru said it was.

Nice to meet you in person yesterday, Old Whitey, and to see what you guys can do on the water.

Lynn

FISH
WSC Local

Re: Sail Quiver Addition Question

Postby FISH » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Lynn,
There was a mix of sail sizes out there yesterday including 5.0 down to 4.2 (maybe a bit bigger too?).
Anyway, no surprise you were overpowered with an older 5.0.
A reasonably sized step down from the 5.4 would be a ~4.7... then 4.0-4.2.
I saw your other post too - ideally you can find an RDM that allows you to rig the 5.4 you just got as well as a ~4.7.
Mike
FISH
KC-79

old whitey
WSC Local

Postby old whitey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Nice to meet both of you too. I would have said the same size down as Fish (he knows of what he speaks when it comes to this sport).
I go from 5.3 down to 4.7 (what I was on yesterday) but I know some that go down to 4.5 from 5.3 and are fine. When looking for an rdm mast for your 5.3 (400cm I imagine) - try to get one appropriate to Neil Pryde or close, one with a soft-ish top.
Hope to see you out on the water sometime soon. Come and visit Mac's on a BIG day sometime. There are usually some around that can put on a good show.

FletcherG
WSC Contributor

Re: Sail Quiver Additional Question

Postby FletcherG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:50 pm

There is a RDM diameter 400cm 90% carbon Constant Curve Sailworks Backbone mast available. Any idea whether this would work with the 5.4 NP Combat?

There is also a 4.7 NP Fly for sale - but darn it, it needs a 370 cm mast. As you said, I am trying to keep it to having both smaller sails fit the same mast.

Lynn

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Yes the gear needs/costs add up for sure.
Usually smaller wave sails have adjustable heads so they can accommodate a longer than spec'd mast, however, a sail in the 4.7 range is not that small by wave sail standards. If you know the year and model of the Fly, you can probably look that up. As far as compatibility goes, I hope some others can chime in since I know very little about what sails use flex-top masts, constant-curve, etc... If you have two Neil Pryde sails though, see about sourcing a used NP mast to match.
FISH
KC-79

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:26 pm

http://www.unifiber.net/2011/mast-selector

5.4 to 4.7 is completely resonable.

You want a non powerful sail that can handle gust at your weight.
NP/Hot sails and simmers are all soft top.

Don't buy because it's on sale now.

Plan your mast (hard/soft/constant top , then mast size), then your sail make and sizing (fit as many sail as you can on one mast). Minimize cost and quiver size that way.
Eg; Naish wave sail of all size rig on one 370mast.
Sandman is looking to sell his whole quiver , you can contact him.