Any good spots to windsurf around Hamilton Burlington area?

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
Amir.Fitness
WSC Contributor

Any good spots to windsurf around Hamilton Burlington area?

Postby Amir.Fitness » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm

I live in Stoney Creek and was wondering if there are good spots to windsurf as a beginner around Hamilton Burlington area? Thanks.
You are risking ur life if you dont take risks.

Chris Young
WSC Local

Re: Any good spots to windsurf around Hamilton Burlington area?

Postby Chris Young » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm

Fortunately you're right in the heart of the great lakes with several launches to choose from. Unfortunately, beginner friendly spots are pretty scarce. CCIW (Hamilton harbour) can be sort of beginner friendly on a light day, but once the wind comes up, it can be a pretty daunting place. That being said, I've seen people who could barely uphaul learn there. It is pretty safe, as the prevailing wind will blow you into shore, but not the shore you launched from LOL.

Others may chime in, but the only spot that comes to mind within a reasonable drive is Guelph Lake. I sail there occasionally when I don't have time to go anywhere else as I work in Guelph. Cherry beach in Toronto is a pretty good spot for beginners, but it's not exactly local to you. Glad to see someone coming into the sport, it's a really good bunch of folks, so don't be afraid to ask for tips or advice from guys here or at the launch.

MarekBad
WSC Local

Postby MarekBad » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 pm

Not exactly near Hamilton but there are friendly spots on Lake Ontario in San Catherine's, and along the shore of Lake Erie like the Long Beach Conservation Area, amongst others. Hamilton Harbour is the closest and might work out depending on skills, launch is tricky and return to same spot is not guaranteed, wear some rubber boots to walk the rocky beach back to parking if needed.

Crawler
WSC Contributor

Postby Crawler » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 pm

I learned at Binbrook Conservation - man made lake niapenco (Sp?) Couldn't get into much trouble there and blows when inversions shut down big lakes in the spring. I don't know if still open to windsurfing, but was a great spot to figure stuff out...

Jonathan
WSC Contributor

Postby Jonathan » Fri May 06, 2016 10:41 pm

Amir I sent you a private message check it out.
"The wind is about to be a very important part of your life..."
- Jem Hall

georgewright
WSC Local

Postby georgewright » Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm

If your serious about learning to windsurf you want a place you can touch bottom when you fall off. It will dramatically increase your sailing time.

Oliphant Ontario. You'll see where to launch from when you get there! 3 hrs from GTA but it's really worth the drive. Nothing like it around here. It's like Hatteras. Good luck.

Amir.Fitness
WSC Contributor

Postby Amir.Fitness » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:36 pm

I tried my first WS on Guelph lake, the lake was awesome for learnin. a lot of fallin n wasnt able to balance myself thou but i aint gonna quit lol i booked wid TO WS club. wish me good luck ;) cant w8 to o pro.

Amir.Fitness
WSC Contributor

Postby Amir.Fitness » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Jonathan wrote:Amir I sent you a private message check it out.
I replied to ur message Jonathan in ur inbox. thanks Buddy.

Canuckdaturk
WSC Rookie

Postby Canuckdaturk » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:31 am

Hello Guys,
I live in Mississauga/Oakville border and was wondering where to go windsurfing. I have been going to Cherry Beach but the wind is unreliable and the drive is really not good. I would like to go somewhere closer but I also don't prefer to be out in the water by myself for safety reasons, you never know what could happen! Is there a online group where people communicate and coordinate when to go together?
Any guidance for nearby spots, and when people go would be appreciated.
Cheers...

MarekBad
WSC Local

Postby MarekBad » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Reliable wind is something we all chase, mostly without success... :(

from where you live, the closest is Hamilton Harbour, but IMO it's not a beginner-friendly spot. Going in other directions, few sail Ontario at Mary Curtis Park, and some ride Guelph Lake. Windier spots are located on Simcoe, Erie, Georgian Bay or south shore of Ontario, you've got to drive an hour or more to get to these.. but you are not sitting on the Gardiner, coming back from Cherrie!

Windjunky
WSC Local

Postby Windjunky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Long Beach Conservation Area.... Hour 15min drive if you don't get stuck in traffic... Guaranteed a good group of sailors there, if it blowing 15 knots or better...

cheers,

Canuckdaturk
WSC Rookie

Postby Canuckdaturk » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks guys!! Will try both when starts to be windy again!!!