Looking for instruction/lessons

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
nosbonsing
WSC Rookie

Looking for instruction/lessons

Postby nosbonsing » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey all,
I have been working on learning some skills by myself the last few summers. I've made some progress (have gotten hooked in, planed a few times) but I am far from proficient. I live in the North Bay Ontario region and have tried to find someone in the area that could provide some guidance. I'm using some older gear and I know that makes things more difficult, but I am more concerned with learning at this point.
I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for people/places in the area or alternatively any places in Southern Ontario that has schools/lessons. I've seen a few ads on kijiji in the past, but it seems that those opportunities are infrequent.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

fathom
WSC Local

Re: Looking for instruction/lessons

Postby fathom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Check with Max Robinson at the Toronto Windsurfing club.
He gives both group lessons during the summer or private lessons at the time of your convenience.
Great friendly guy excellent sailor and he's #1 in Canada RSX racing.
PM me if you can't find his contact number.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-vacations ... apLightbox

know nothing about this - just saw it and pasted it here
know my buddy Joe sails up there in the North somewhere :D

nosbonsing
WSC Rookie

Postby nosbonsing » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate that. Its nice to hear an endorsement for the kijiji ad as I had seen that one but wasn't sure if it was legit.
Hard to believe it's hard to find someone around this region. Lake Nipissing has quite a few kiters, but not a lot of windsurfers that I've seen.

drewb70
WSC Local

Postby drewb70 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:22 pm

PM me and I'll sail with you. In the summer I'm in Huntsville quite often. There r a few decent lakes around if the wind is right.

windaddict
WSC Contributor

Postby windaddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Hey Jason,

So nice to hear about someone wanting to take up the sport. I live right on lake Nipissing in North Bay and sail every chance I get and I would like nothing more than to help someone learn the sport as I am tired of sailing alone! I have been doing it for 20+ years so I know a few things. PM me and we'll hook up. The ice is starting to melt!

Dan

jeffrey
WSC Contributor

Postby jeffrey » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am

If you are ever in the Sudbury area
We offer free lessons all summer through the Sudbury Canoe Club on Ramsey Lake.
If you want you can bring your gear and we can meet up at the club or you can buy a day pass for the club and use our gear and we go sailing together.
Lets talk. - I sent you a PM.

nosbonsing
WSC Rookie

Postby nosbonsing » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Nice to see that there are indeed people around this area to hook up with. I apologize for not posting earlier but trying to wrap up some hours use renos which is taking up my time at the moment.
Hope to meet up with some of you when the water isn't solid :wink: