Want to get back in to the sport

Want to learn to windsurf? Get tips and advice from other sailors. Nothing more exciting than new sailors for the sport.
Prairiewind
WSC Rookie

Want to get back in to the sport

Postby Prairiewind » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I’m wanting to get back into the sport but without spending thousands as I would probably get out only a few times a year. Can anyone suggest an older board/rig that I could look for on the used market? I’ve done 66 trips around the sun and, yes, I think I can still do this. I would probably get out on prairie lakes (small waves, gusty). I just want to go fast. I weigh around 105 kg. I have an original Windsurfer that I fool around with sometimes but I’m sure there are now better options out there. I did an enjoyable rental of a Starboard Rio L in Bonaire last fall but I doubt I could one of those used. Thanks for any suggestions.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Local

Re: Want to get back in to the sport

Postby joe_windsurfer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:01 pm

WOD/Windsurfer One Design and RIO L are good starts
I weigh about the same and have MANY boards for different winds - and locations
as you say, it is all about location, location, location
how much wind and how high are the waves ...
(do you think you need a dagger/centreboard to get back to starting point ??)
will start like that - we still have time :-)

Prairiewind
WSC Rookie

Postby Prairiewind » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 am

Thanks Joe,
What is the difference between a “one design” and an “original” windsurfer? And, yes, I think I’ll need a daggerboard.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Local

Postby joe_windsurfer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 am

same info presented later = delete
Last edited by joe_windsurfer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don15
WSC Rookie

Postby Don15 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:41 pm

If you are looking for something a little more advanced than a windsurfer one design, keep an eye on kijiji starting in the next few months. Also check CalgaryWindsurfing (I am guessing you are located in Alberta, Wabamum Sailing Club?) once in awhile. What you should look for is something like a Mistral Equipe or Mistral One Design or the like as it is a large volume board that will has a large wind range. Other companies like Fanatic and F2 also had larger volume boards that were designed for racing. These boards are satisfying in a lot of different wind conditions and challenging in higher winds. Generally you get what you pay for so considering what they charge for StandUp Paddle boards be prepared to pay more than a couple hundred dollars for something good. Most people keep their good larger volume boards for lots of reasons so it may take a little time. Newer equipment may cost more but it is a lot better than the old stuff which a lot of should be thrown away or used for fence material or benches.

Prairiewind
WSC Rookie

Postby Prairiewind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks Don15. Good advice.