How to leverage Twitter?

KC5555
WSC Local

How to leverage Twitter?

Postby KC5555 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:32 am

The site has a twitter account but nothing gets posted to it because I havent figured out how to work it so that its some kind of tool for us.

Not interested in duplicating content that links to stuff posted on the site.

To that end....have thought it might make for an interesting way to shout out about who is headed where when and pushing weather conditions somehow.

Because twitter is push not pull....info has to relevant to everyone to a degree (pushing wind conditions for sailing sites doesnt make sense really)....see what im getting at?

Really could use some input.

fathom
WSC Local

Re: How to leverage Twitter?

Postby fathom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:52 am

I have a Twitter account but never use it. Can't stand it!

On the other hand I think Facebook has a LOT more windsurfing related stuff and windsurfing groups, e.g. the FREE4ALL group or GTA windsurfing group.

I find it a bit frustrating that immediate info about who is sailing where and weather conditions are scattered all over the place. Many of us, whether the Sherkston group or the SBX group are texting each other.

For our small SBX group, we're using GroupMe app which allow both web base and group texting. Downside is if you don't have data, the txt number is in the USA and you get charged txt fee. However it's been wonderful to get instant update and coordination.

Practically, free local group txt would be ideal as Sherkston or SBX have very poor data coverage and txt is the way to go. Even the low tech guys can txt.

Something like the instant chat on Quebecwind would work too but requires data

windydoug
WSC Rookie

Postby windydoug » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Hey from Rochester NY.

Love checking this awesome sight out, and have met some of the frequent contributers at either Hamburg Park on Lake Erie, or at Champlain Windfest this year.

On topic (sort of), what we have found that works for us (around Rochester and the finger lakes region) regarding a large communication about who's sailing where and what the conditions are is a smart phone app called Groupme. As mentioned previously, you can check it on your computer, on your smart phone, and on your olds school phone. It works well for our group of windsurfers and kiters. We all have an interest in sailing the same sites (relatively) so we don't run into much irrelevance of information. The one time we do get irrelevant infor is when the kites are out in lighter wind, and all us boardheads have to hear about it at work! We don't use it much, but you can also post pics to the group.
I could see a scenario like this: Two Groupme groups Windcanwest and Windcaneast, you decide where the dividing line is. Join the group that suits you, or both. Not sure how this would affect the Sherkston and Sandbanks groups...perhaps they become the two groups for all.

Ultimately, the Windalert wind meter and onsite reports may do away with the need for this, but with Groupme you can describe water conditions and the wind trend etc....
Keep pushing hard, and keep our region on the map with all the vids and pics.
Doug
Rochesterwindsports.com

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Agree, love GroupMe.
Worked really well for our SBX group this Fall. However long distance txt to the USA was the issue for some of the guys who don't have the app with data as the txt is to a USA phone number.

I like the idea of regional GroupMe groups. I administer the SBX GroupMe so I can add or remove people from the group discussion as needed. If people are planning on going to SBX they just need to provide me with their cello number to be added.

I propose a Sherkston/ Erie group and an Allenwood group also. Perhaps add to Rochester group if travelling there.

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:15 pm

good stuff guys....I'm learning!

Didnt think Twitter was the right format for this kind of thing.

I looked into SMS services where the site could send out TEXT's to users who signed up for a location. So, you would opt in to say ALLENWOOD SAILING SITE and anyone on the site could send out a short text to the ALLENWOOD group saying "at beach. 12kts"

Had the basic idea mapped out, but the cost of the SMS service was really really prohibitive.....Perhaps I can look into building an APP, still would require your phone to have a data plan though....hmmm

allenwood
WSC Local

Postby allenwood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I will look into starting one up for the Allenwood Crew. I would be good to have one at the three "BIG" spots, Sherkston, SBX and Awood. Fathom I may have to pick your brain if I get technologically stuck, which is a very distinct possibility! Currently I am just sending mass (10) text messages out at a time to guys that sail up here.

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Groupme has an API.

Will read through it and see if it can be integrated into the site somehow...

...I dig winter projects

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Allenwood, with group me you can send out ten group txt/ sms but the beauty of this app is when someone reply to that txt, EVERYONE in that group will receive it too. Sorry of like a " reply all" . No other app does that with txt/ sms
Last edited by fathom on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rondeauboy
WSC Local

Postby rondeauboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

I am not sure whether or not this will do what you ultimately envision, but it is kind of cool and useful nonetheless...

While in Hatteras a couple weeks ago I picked up a cool little anemometer (http://weatherflow.com/windmeter/) that plugs into the headphone port on your iPhone (iPad/iPod and Android devices too), made by WeatherFlow (think iWindsurf), and downloaded the free app from the AppStore. The unit/app allows you to measure and record wind speed (lull, gust, average, direction and location using the built in GPS in your phone). It seems like a quality piece of hardware and the app is pretty simple and effective.

That said, one of the cool features is that is keeps track of your reading history (if you ever want to look back to a certain day). However the coolest feature is it allows you to make your readings public...meaning that it publishes the readings to WeatherFlow in the background...so others can see the wind and where the reading was taken. Further to this, it allows you to send the data to whomever you want in a variety of different methods, such as SMS text, Facebook, Twitter, and email. It also allows you to enter other info into the message and photos too.

So in my case, I simply created a group within my address book and named it Rondeau, and then added my sailing friends phone #'s to the group.

I take the reading, hit the share icon, pick SMS as the delivery vehicle, select Rondeau as the recipient and hit send. Voila...a text is sent to everyone in my group indicating the location (text and Google map if desired), the wind data and direction. I can also take a picture of my 4.0 rigged and ready to go and include it in the text.

Also, from past experience with my iPhone and group texts...should someone decide to reply to my text, that reply is also sent to all recipients of my original text. At least this is what happens when the other recipients have iPhones too.

You could also set up a group Twitter or Facebook account and send it to your group that way.

Like I said, it may not accomplish what you are needing in all cases, but it may be useful. Just an idea.
Dave French