Amazing Windsurfing on Snow (home-made)

All things Wind & Winter. SnowSailing, IceBoating, Snowkiting, Siteskiing.
J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Amazing Windsurfing on Snow (home-made)

Postby J Elliott » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 am

Along with all of you canadian windsufers I could not wait for warmer weather to do windsurfing. I did a lot of research and talked to many people who had attempted to make a snow windsurfer. The plans that looked best and were what I ended up going with were at

http://www.winzurf.co.nz/windsurf/tech/bruce00.htm

It is a three ski design that uses a standard windsurfing rig, there are also designs for ice blades if you want them. It is well balanced and is controlled like a short-board. I did not go with the blades since I just go in a snowy field. It is simple and cheap to make and goes very fast.

Talk to me if you have any questions 8)

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

You-Tube Video

Postby J Elliott » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Me here again. :D

Ive noticed that other people on this site have problems with simular designs gonig upwind. The one that I made is easily controlled to go upwind and downwind. Because it has a large platform it you can put you wieght any where you want depending on your style.

I posted a video of myself windsurfing on the snow on You Tube. I'm not going super fast in all of the clips but it is a cool movie anyways. There is a still picture of my ski board and rig at the end.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JGod__KMJOs

While you there, there are lots of other people with their versions snow windsurfing.

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi J,

this looks pretty cool. was wanting to build this kind of thing for a while.

What kind of sails do you use and are you at all concerned about the cold weather and your rig...or are you using gear you dont use in the summer?

Where is that vid taken from?

db

ps. welcome to the site!!

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Postby J Elliott » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks KC5555

I've only been on this site for a day now and I think it is amazing. Having at least three skis is important.

As for the windski (or whatever you want to call it) I really suggest it.

The type of sail you use is kind of a concern. Some websites say that the sails are fine in the cold. I would suggest on using a sail without too much window as the clear plastic gets brittle. It isn't a huge issue, but on a really cold day I put my shoulder through the window. It was easy to fix with clear hocky tape and I put more strips of tape all over the windows to provide support and strenth. As you probably noticed the sail I use in the winter is ancient and has very little window to start with. As for the rest of the rig, my fiberglass mast and aluminum boom have been fine. I would not use any really high tech stuff like carbon fiber though as it could be an expensive mistake.

I made several changes to my windski from the plans. I didn't use blades but instead made brackets out of alluminum to allow the ski's angle to be ajusted. I don't think this is necassary if you are just going to use it on snow but I can put the skis up on their edge for ice. A series of wood cross pieces on the deck provide grip and more freedom than foot straps. If you want I can post my fine tuned measurments for things like maststep placement that are different than the design on that website.

The harder the snow the better and heavier people have much more resistance in loose snow. My father at 200 pounds has a much harder time getting going and reaching high speeds. Lighter people can plane almost instantly.

I live on a farm north-west of St. Albert ( Outside of Edmonton) and the video was taken in the field in front of my house. :D

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Postby J Elliott » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:13 pm

8) If anyone gets the St. Albert Gazette (probably no-one because I can count the number of people that windsurf around here on one hand) there is a good article about my snow windsurfing in last wednesday's issue (march 12th). By the way if there are any windsurfers in the Edmonton/ St. Albert/ Sturgeon County area email me just for the hell of it at windtechsurf@yahoo.ca

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Get a kitewing

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:40 pm

That was a good video though.

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Postby J Elliott » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

I don't know if you have tried windsurfing on snow but it is amazingly simular to doing it on water. The only difference is that you are always up on plane and you don't get wet. I personly have been able to learn and perfect my windsurfing techniques like water starts during the winter so I will be a better windsurfer next year.

I am still open-minded about types of wind sports. I recently tried kite boarding and thought that was pretty cool. (By the way I would be interested in purchasing a used kite if anyone has one for sale in the Edmonton, Alberta area.)

:?: Are these kite wings very different from the kites used in conventional kiteboarding? I see that you pretty much hold right on to the kite. Is that better for in the winter?

:idea: If anybody in the Edmonton area would like to try my snow windsurfing or just get in touch with a local windsurfer email me at windtechsurf@yahoo.ca

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Basicly a kitewing would be much easier for you to transport , assemble ,disasemble and learn. They are made for all seasons but I do prefer winter since we have more wind here. What is even more fun about the kitewing is the lift you can get. It's alot of fun and it's really simular to windsurfing. If you are a windsurfer you will love this sport in the winter.

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 pm

and yes these kites are alot diffrent because their are no lines you hold onto the crossboom but when it comes to jumping and lift it's simular to kiteboarding. Riding is alot diffrent but simular to windsurfing almost like a hybrid.

riNR
WSC Local

Postby riNR » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Snow shmow!!! Bring on the liquid pleasure :D

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Postby J Elliott » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:46 pm

I admit nothing beats liquid water. 8) We are all waiting for the time when the lakes melt and the temperatures go well above zero. We just need something to keep from going crazy during these long winter months. :lol:

riNR
WSC Local

Postby riNR » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 pm

I see winter as time to work hard and summer as time to goof off as much as possible.

J Elliott
WSC Contributor

Postby J Elliott » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:36 pm

I agree to goofing off in the summer but why work hard and have no fun in the winter? :lol: Besides here in Canada winter is pretty dam long!

riNR
WSC Local

Postby riNR » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:47 am

I should rephrase that:
I work hard all the time. I just chose to arrange my time differently in the summer. Seeing as skiing pretty much stinks in Ontario I do not feel very inspired to participate as much as when I was younger. To go snowfering involves more hucking of gear and driving than I wish to do for something I have found to be a weak comparison to windsurfing.

I'm sure it is all fun, that's just my boring outlook on it I guess.

Now bring on the warmth and sun for crying out loud.