Flowboard, Iceboard, HomeBrewBoard

All things Wind & Winter. SnowSailing, IceBoating, Snowkiting, Siteskiing.
KC5555
WSC Local

Flowboard, Iceboard, HomeBrewBoard

Postby KC5555 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I dont think I can make it through the winter without rigging a sail, and I am not going anywhere warm so....

I have enough old crappy gear to rig a 6.5 and I am trying to figure out how to get sailing this winter.

I was thinking of trying a FLOWBOARD (sort of a skateboard) or a longboard skateboard and sailing in the parking lot....Anyone done/doing this?

OR

using some old ski's create a home brew board similiar to the one found here

http://www.virtuo.com/icesailing/craft.html

I also came across a cool looking skateboard kind of deck with blades, will try and post a pic.

Anyways, its got to be cheap so the Snowfer is out. Just want something to mess with and practice jibing and footwork.

How long of a deck do I need? I dont think a regular skateboard deck is long enough, at least it looks cramped...longer the better?

db

i_alin_alex
WSC Rookie

Postby i_alin_alex » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:01 pm

I have some videos with some guys from Estonia who are sailing with some kind of skateboard with blades, and I think the board is made by them.I can send you the video, if you want, and maybe you can take their ideea. Doesn't look very complicated to build one.
Just tell me where to send the video, I think it's about 10-15 Mb.

Cheers,
Alex
Alex IONITA

Evan
WSC Contributor

FreeSkate

Postby Evan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:09 pm

i_alin_alex wrote:I have some videos with some guys from Estonia who are sailing with some kind of skateboard with blades, and I think the board is made by them.I can send you the video, if you want, and maybe you can take their ideea. Doesn't look very complicated to build one.
Just tell me where to send the video, I think it's about 10-15 Mb.

Cheers,
Alex
DB check out the FreeSkate.
http://www.downhaul.com/icesail/030813/index.htm
http://www.downhaul.com/icesail/
Yes they are easy to make. I made a couple of them a few years back. We just hacked them together in an afternoon, they were not nearly as good as the board in the photo above. My brother and friends had a great time. We were teaching people that did not even know how to windsurf.

If the ice is clean you can go very fast in total control, and crank some very hard gybes. The problem we have in Kinston is that the ice is often covered in snow, or we don't even have ice. But when it's good it's great.
Evan

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:35 pm

yes that looks exactly like the kind of animal i am after. There is a very small clip of a board like this in the Best of Windsurfing DVD.

wow. so if you built your own in a day, what did you use for blades?

db

Evan
WSC Contributor

ice sailer

Postby Evan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:48 pm

We just bolted a skateboard deck on top of a 2X4 to extend the wheelbase. You want your trucks far apart for control at speed. Then we bolted the trucks on the 2X4. Wheels replaced by Blades mounted on steel bars that we bolted to the truck axle, to widen the trucks so you don't tip over. Steel blades around 10\" long with a 90deg. edge pointing down at the ice and a bit of a nose scoop at the front.
Somewhere on that site I linked to one of the guys gives you the basic dimensions you want. It is bigger and wider than any skateboard I have used.
This Winter I think I would like to make a good deck out of wood carbon and Epoxy, and some carbon truck extensions like in the photo above, so that I will be in total control at top speed. Just a copy of the board above, it looks to be very refined.
Evan

madmatt
WSC Rookie

windsurfing on ice and snow for under $50.00 and you rig

Postby madmatt » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:57 pm

parts list:
1/2 sheet of 1/2\" plywood
6 ' of 2 by 6
2 ' of 2 by 4
or
3 ' of 4 by 4
3 skis off of a old gt snow racer
2 blades off an old micron type skate
or
3 skalte off regular hockey skates
assortment of wood screws as needed

1st sharpen only 2 blades at 45Drg smooth and very sharp \\/ like that
2nd start 1 ' from end of 2by 6 drill holes at 2 3 and 4 ' marknole lage enough for mast base bole to fit
hey guys im not good at typing or describing in print but if you send me an e-mail i will send you a snort video close up of 2 different boardsthen we can chat by phone if you wish but i Garuntee you the best and fastest ride of your life bar none or double your money back hahaha

madmatt@ns.sympatico.ca

madmatt
WSC Rookie

windsurfing on ice and snow

Postby madmatt » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Oh what happened to my spell check sorry for the typos Madmatt

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm

http://www.windsurfcanada.com/index.cfm ... =1.119.789

you guys should try one of these babies ooooh yeah

riNR
WSC Local

Postby riNR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:38 am

Here is a video of ice board sailing in ideal conditions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=957HSTEvSSc

Spence
WSC Contributor

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I've tried the 36\" flowboard with a sail. Jibes are fun and smooth but it's not stable going straight at moderate speeds. I have a homemade hammerhead (http://www.loadedboards.com/newsite_v1/hammerhead.html), better stability going straight and still out carves a regular longboard. I have thought of trying revenge trucks(http://www.revengetrucks.com/), supposed to carve hard without compromises of the flowboard trucks.

Anyone know any decent places to windskate? Clean wind, paved area, not too busy?

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 pm

If your in the west end of Toronto your welcome to join us, my buddy BMK and I usually sail in the Port Credit YC parking lot, winds pretty steady and clean as it overlooks the lake.

We are using MTB mountain boards. BMK's idea and a good choice. boards are about the right size and the big pnuematic wheels offer lots of grip in the corners. You can actually hear them hook up when you tighten your turns. Less air in the wheels equals more grip and less speed (a good thing sometimes).

I love the sensation, the mechanics and commitment to jibing should really translate on the water (i am hoping).

No love with the snow and ice lately though.

db