Nice Session in Ottawa

All things Wind & Winter. SnowSailing, IceBoating, Snowkiting, Siteskiing.
Scott MacDonald
WSC Contributor

Nice Session in Ottawa

Postby Scott MacDonald » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:50 pm

Finally!! The right combination of snow and wind to try the new fins I made for my windski. I had a great session for about 2 hrs. The snow was really sticky so I would get stuck in the lulls, but when the wind filled in I had plenty of power to fly across the snow. It was great. The addition of the new fins really give me a lot of control. Looking forward to the colder temps tomorrow so I can try it out again, with some higher speeds hopefully.

I think I'm going to start using my harness now too. The fins give me enough lateral resistance to separate myself from the rig. I've also refined the \"foot blocks\" so I have better grip.

Anyone else try making their own \"windski\" this season?

Scott

JayTurcot
WSC Local

Postby JayTurcot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 pm

I don't know if they're up already, but could you post some pictures of this Wind-ski that you made Scott. Sounds really cool and I'm all ears.

What are the new fins?
Jay Turcot
"It's a crazy addiction we have isn't it?"

Scott MacDonald
WSC Contributor

Postby Scott MacDonald » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:11 pm

Actually I don't think I've posted any pictures of it on this forum. I'll take some today and try to post them. It's nothing fancy...but it gets the job done and puts a smile on my face so I'm happy with it.

The fins I put on are made from steel. My friend has a welder and stuff so we fabricated a set for each ski.

Scott

Scott MacDonald
WSC Contributor

Postby Scott MacDonald » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:51 pm

I've added the images to the Winter gallery. I mislabeled the second one. (called it top view but it was actually bottom)

Anyway...It gives you a good idea of how I put it together. I got all the materials for free so it hasn't cost me anything to make it. I was able to get in another session today and the snow was great! The fins seem to be working really good and I was able to use my harness.

Scott

JayTurcot
WSC Local

Postby JayTurcot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

That's awesome!!
How does it move on ice? (or is it only for use when there is at least an inch of snow?)
I only ask because here in beautiful waterloo we don't even have 1\" on puslinch yet. Partially because it's windy and the snow melts away :D

Do the skis sit flat? or do they have a slight angle on them?
How's turning? (get off, rotate the thing around and get back on?)
Jay Turcot
"It's a crazy addiction we have isn't it?"

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Well today and yesterday was the first time I used it with the fins. We've had icy conditions here as well for the past while. I'm thinking of fabricating smaller fins for sailing on ice, but I previously just took the fins off and sailed with out them (not much control but it's still fun). You can really only go downwind. Sailing on ice is scary though because you can go sooo fast and if you fall it can hurt. But with the snow we have now the fins work really well. I can go a good 45 degrees upwind.

When I use it in enough snow it sits flat when sailing but if I make a smaller set of fins for Ice sailing it will probably sit with a small angle.

As for turning, I actually almost completed a jibe on it today! But for the most part I just stop, flip the board around and jump back on.

Scott

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Well today and yesterday was the first time I used it with the fins. We've had icy conditions here as well for the past while. I'm thinking of fabricating smaller fins for sailing on ice, but I previously just took the fins off and sailed with out them (not much control but it's still fun). You can really only go downwind. Sailing on ice is scary though because you can go sooo fast and if you fall it can hurt. But with the snow we have now the fins work really well. I can go a good 45 degrees upwind.

When I use it in enough snow it sits flat when sailing but if I make a smaller set of fins for Ice sailing it will probably sit with a small angle.

As for turning, I actually almost completed a jibe on it today! But for the most part I just stop, flip the board around and jump back on.

Scott
Scott is nice to see another Ottawa Native taken on kitesurfing. I'm sure you know Hung Paul and all those other great guys that surf our wonderfull bay (Brittania Beach) I also met Bradly through those boys really good kitesurfer and also makes custom Skimboards. Scott I'm Wojtek you will see alot of me on Brittania on windydays if not on the water on the grass or the beach with the kitewing I will stand out since I'm the only guy who will have a kitewing out there so don't be shy to say hi

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Adrenaline Junkie wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Well today and yesterday was the first time I used it with the fins. We've had icy conditions here as well for the past while. I'm thinking of fabricating smaller fins for sailing on ice, but I previously just took the fins off and sailed with out them (not much control but it's still fun). You can really only go downwind. Sailing on ice is scary though because you can go sooo fast and if you fall it can hurt. But with the snow we have now the fins work really well. I can go a good 45 degrees upwind.

Scott
Scott is nice to see another Ottawa Native taken on kitesurfing. I'm sure you know Hung Paul and all those other great guys that surf our wonderfull bay (Brittania Beach) I also met Bradly through those boys really good kitesurfer and also makes custom Skimboards. Scott I'm Wojtek you will see alot of me on Brittania on windydays if not on the water on the grass or the beach with the kitewing I will stand out since I'm the only guy who will have a kitewing out there so don't be shy to say hi
Scott I saw the pictures of your windskiies and its AWSOME you should add me on your msn wojtek85@hotmail.com

Adrenaline Junkie
WSC Local

Postby Adrenaline Junkie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:19 pm

Adrenaline Junkie wrote:
Adrenaline Junkie wrote:

Scott
Scott I saw the pictures of your windskiies and its AWSOME you should add me on your msn wojtek85@hotmail.com
I'm from Ottawa too :)

windsurferdagg
WSC Rookie

Postby windsurferdagg » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:33 am

Last sesh of windskiing was on the 11th of march (sunday). It was kinda cool cause we got some wierd snow/ice formations that almost were like waves. Best moment was Scott hitting one full speed and he went one way, rig went the other bahahah.

Anyways it was sick and thanks again Scott for letting me tag along.

windsurferdagg
WSC Rookie

Postby windsurferdagg » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:36 am

oh and Scott and I figured out how to gybe it and semi tack it. Its kinda sketchy but its mostly just a slam gybe pretty much.

Next year im making my own, but with some straps so you can actually jump it. I'l race scott, probably lose but w/e