Seeking Advice - updating 30 year old gear

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
2wheeler
WSC Rookie

Seeking Advice - updating 30 year old gear

Postby 2wheeler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi

I've windsurfed periodically since 1984 (on a Wailer), then got a Tiga Slalom (105l i think) in 1988. Well the Tiga finally died after many a windy day on Lake Erie. The boom exploded. The sail (5.4m2) and batons were very old and crumbling. The keel was held together with glue.

So I'd like to get an updated board to use in the Lake. While I've windsurfed periodically over the years I'm not an expert. I never managed a duck jibe. But I still love to get out in a stiff wind and fly across the top of the waves.

I spoke with a guy at Silent Sports and he recommended a SUP with windsurf capability... but that doesn't really float my boat. Looks like a throwback to the days of the Wailer.

I'm looking for an easy to surf board that can handle a variety of wind but is still fun at high speed. Any recommendations?

fathom
WSC Local

Re: Seeking Advice - updating 30 year old gear

Postby fathom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 pm

If you can find a do everything used, something equivalent to a Tabou 3S (fast, good for bump and jump, and can wave ride with).
Look online for equivalent board.
Good example:
http://www.windsurfcanada.com/index.cfm ... d=1&fgeo=1
Sail wise, all sails are good these days, same for boom
Just need the right mast to fit the sail brand (some require stiff top, some medium, some soft).
Guide here:
http://www.unifiber.net/2012/mast-selector
Welcome back.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 pm

NMI = need more info :)
your weight, wind range desired and wave height
do you want to plane over the waves or bump n jump as was suggested
if the Tiga was actually 105 litres, you can water start ??
i am a heavyweight and don't even have a 105 ...
don't go on Lake Chaplain, Lake Ontario , Quebec City :oops:
wishing you luck and hope your replacement gear lasts 30 years too

2wheeler
WSC Rookie

Postby 2wheeler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not a water starter and weight about 72 kg (160lbs). As far as riding style I've never jumped a wave so I can't say that's in my bag of tricks. It does look like fun and might be a new skill I could pick up. I surf entirely on Lake Erie south of Dunnville and West of Port Maitland. With my old gear I would go out with winds over 25 kph to around 40 kph (these are estimates). Once the small trees on the bluff start to sway it was windy enough to get the board to plane. At those winds the waves are usually a choppy 2- 5'. I would like to be able to extend the range of winds that I could ride in... but I realize that I might be close to the lower limit anyway.

I'm not certain about the volume of the Tiga... it might be bigger, and it was definitely a floater.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:53 am

my guess ... something like a Rocket 125 ??
sails between 5.0 and 7.0 for that windrange
hope others chime in with better info - mine are guestimates
as I am much heavier and have not tried the Rocket
read and heard a lot about it ...

Joe
WSC Contributor

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:13 am

I would suggest something around 120-130l - I would try to find a freemove board - rrd firemove, fanatic gecko, jp magic ride. The freemove boards are great for great lakes lighter wind sailing - easy to jibe, early planing, lots of strap options.
Pair it with a 7.0 no cam sail (any brand) with a matching mast and you'll have fun in 12-20 knots range.
You are located in a great area - Lake erie gets some of the best and most frequent wind in Ontario. You should check out the Long Beach Conservation Area - I think there is a big group of sailors there who could help you out.

Go for it - you'll love the new stuff.

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I agree with Joe. I would get a ~120 ltr freemove board. Freemoves are great all around boards - stable, quick to plane, easier to turn than the traditional freeride boards. One instructor I talked to called them cheating because they are so easy to sail.

I weigh about 175 and have a 130 ltr RRD Firemove (8.5 and 7.0 freeride sails) and a 102 firemove for when its windier.

From what I read, all brands are good - RRD, JP, Starboard, Tabou, Fanatic, Simmer. Depends if you want to emphasize turning, speed, etc. as each board is stronger in some areas. The reviews hint at which ones are better in specific areas but you kind of have to read between the lines.

drewb70
WSC Local

Postby drewb70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:48 am

Definately vote on the rocket, my brother has one and I think I've been out on it almost as much as he has. Absolutely love it. I would keep to the 115 range.
I also have 115 f2 xtc ltd. its a freemove. It can handle some very high winds, but I'm running 210 lbs. I'm about the same level as you so I would think being lighter this would be a great one size fits all board. Maybe even a bit smaller.

MarekBad
WSC Local

Postby MarekBad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Where you sail a smaller/narrower board might do better.... I have a rocket 135 and 115, and use the smaller one way more often on Erie - mind you, I only drive down when it's blowing a bit... on say 7-8m days, the larger one might be more appropriate. I am 175lb and intermediate, sailed at Long Beach, Reebs and Myrnam (great place!), at your 160lb you could indeed look at 115-120 for a 1-board solution.

It NEVER ends with one, BTW.. :)

Marek

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Rocket 125 is 250 x 72 and sails 5.5 - 8.5
more than some are suggesting and less than others or in the middle

http://tabou-boards.com/boards/2017/fre ... et-ltdced/

2wheeler
WSC Rookie

Postby 2wheeler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the input, it has really given me a great place to start looking. I've checked out Silent Sports and Boardsports... where else would you be looking? I of course would like to get a great price on all this new stuff! I can't seem to find a Canadian Distributor for Tabou or some of the other brands.

CAD
WSC Contributor

Postby CAD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Check out windspirit and 2-rad to see what they have. Loopee is in the states but worth contacting to price out a Tabou.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 am

auventfou in Montreal NOW carries Tabou since about 2 years
they ship
http://www.auventfou.com/v4/index.php
and yes , they will speak Hinglish :-)

Jerehall
WSC Rookie

Postby Jerehall » Tue May 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi there, I have recently just got back into the sport. I just came back from hatteras where I rented a fanacatic 110 state. The salesperson said that it is one of the most user friendly boards and I could not agree more. I ended up buying the board as it was incredible.

I have the 135 Tabou rocket and I do not like it much, big and clumsy. Fanatic really has nailed it on this board. Although it's a 110, it has a fair bit of volume in the tail.

If you can find one, you won't be disappointed.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Postby joe_windsurfer » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 am

If you love your 110 and find the Tabou Rocket 135 "big and clumsy", you must be a light weight (or very experienced)
as I am "big and clumsy" anything around 135 litres makes me work and as such is "small and squirrelly :oops: