cold weather wetsuit advice/opinions

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
rosielarose
WSC Contributor

cold weather wetsuit advice/opinions

Postby rosielarose » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi I recently moved closer to Lake Ontario and am looking to extend my season by getting a cold water wet suit. I’d like to try being out there in May and September-November. Can the cold weather sailors out there help me with some recommendations on brands, thickness, type of neoprene and hood or no hood?

Also, where do you buy? Online or in person (trying it on seems like a must…but what do I know)
Thanks!

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Re: cold weather wetsuit advice/opinions

Postby joe_windsurfer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:37 pm

ALWAYS try on a wetsuit before buying, they make different models for women - obviously ...
if you wear a helmet, no hoodie is required
sometimes I wear my hoodie just around the neck
hate gloves and wear mitts when i have to - if hands get cold , come in and warm them up - after that they stay ok it seems
boots are personal - split toe, 3m , 5m or 7m - newer boots seem to keep feet dry
some people, especially kiters wear dry suits - too warm for me
my favourite wetsuit is an older two piece - keeps core warm and can wear farmer john bottom when warmer - have NO shortie
each person seems to have their preference - like buddy wears special socks in booties and under wetsuit
i always have to remind myself to keep finger nails short when wearing wetsuit - nails leave marks ...
neoprene definitely extends the season
i also windsurf on ice :-)
https://youtu.be/lUnzFfXgaa0

rosielarose
WSC Contributor

Postby rosielarose » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info Joe windsurfer. I agree with you about gloves...they make my forearms tired and sore. fingers crossed for a windy spring! cheers.

old whitey
WSC Local

Postby old whitey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Try on if you can otherwise most brands have pretty accurate sizing charts. I know my size for the brand I wear (NP) so I can order online and find the Quebec stores offer great deals on year-end models. If you're windsurfing, you want some smoothskin in the back and chest at least as it really cuts down on wind chill. Probably a 5/4 at least in thickness - modern neoprene is very comfortable. If you haven't bought a suit in a while you will be pleasantly suprised. Good luck with the hunt and I'll second your windy spring pronouncement.

CAD
WSC Contributor

Postby CAD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 pm

I also buy online knowing what fits me and I can compare sizing chart with other brands. It worked just fine for me. I function with 2 wetsuits and cover the first day after ice breaks in spring till December here in Ottawa, down to 0C. My 5/4 chest zip with hood is perfect and 3/2 covers late spring and much of the fall. Open palm mitts is all I need with core warm and blood flowing.

I discovered Surf Ontario last year and was very pleased with service, selection, and deal on an Xcel dry lock 5/4.

Hope that helps,
Charles

PS I think I bought your Skate 97L few years ago... it served me very very well and still loving it! Thanks!!!

Tarmac1963
WSC Rookie

Postby Tarmac1963 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 am

I discovered this wetsuit on line last year and thought I would share it with others and see if anyone else has heard about it or perhaps even has one. The concept is simple and seems like it would work.

http://www.ianovated.co.uk/