Need board repair advice

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
roddy
WSC Rookie

Need board repair advice

Postby roddy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a small crack on the underside of my kona one board from the harness hook (see attached photo). I don't think there's any water damage, board is nice and firm around the crack. It's just forward of the mast track.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm in Toronto if it needs a professional repair job.

Thanks!

Roddy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joe_windsurfer
WSC Contributor

Re: Need board repair advice

Postby joe_windsurfer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 am

need to be SURE there is NO water inside
suck on it or place in HOT sun - hole up or hole down depending on who you speak with
some will say put tissue in hole to act as a wick
once you are absolutely sure there is no more water ...
that looks small enough to repair with MarineTex or SolarEz

JayTurcot
WSC Local

Postby JayTurcot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Definitely let it bake in the hot sun... get it as dry as possible.

If there was structural damage (surrounding areas give in etc.) then I would suggest excavating that loose stuff. More and more I lean towards not bothering (if it is firm to press... then reinforce and make it watertight. In my earlier days I would take away so much material on a wild good chase to do a "proper" repair. Lately I've gone a season with some cracks having ding stick on them for over a year. That ended up being sanding back the ding-stick and glassing over with a single layer of glass.

That's right on the edge of what I would just Solarez vs. do more.

No shame in keeping it simple.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't done this long enough to see the long-term repercussions of my actions and I care about a 2/10 for aesthetics because I never plan to re-sell my boards. Bigger repairs that start to require divinycell I sent to a shop.
Jay Turcot
"It's a crazy addiction we have isn't it?"

winddude
WSC Rookie

Postby winddude » Mon May 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Depends if it is around the damage, if you have to remove material or not. But that looks pretty minor, I would scuff it with some 80 grit, and shove some dingstick in there, spit on and smooth out the ding stick. Come back, sand it, and hit it with a little white paint.

drewb70
WSC Local

Postby drewb70 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 pm

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

This is what I use for permanent fixes, followed by a bit of sanding and paint. If it's on the bottom it's worth spending the time to get the finish.