Welcome to Windsurf Canada's Forums

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
KC5555
WSC Local

Welcome to Windsurf Canada's Forums

Postby KC5555 » Fri Oct 20, 2000 8:01 pm

Welcome to Windsurf Canada.

I am hoping this site will generate some discussion among Canadian Windsurfers. I have seen Canadians posting on a a number of good forums already on the web, www.star-board.com is a very busy site and REC.WINDSURFING is loaded with good people and excellent advice. I dont intend this forum to replace those resources but I am hoping that Canadian Windsurfers will find a home here. I mean what better a place to organize that convoy to Hatteras or Hood River?

I have included a Classifieds section. Nothing worse than reading a web ad for that great used board or sail only to learn that shipping it from Florida or California is just not worth it, let alone the mystery duty/taxes Canada Customs likes to apply. Hope this section will be busy, I know the local clubs websites are usually pretty busy with classifieds posts, post it here as well!

I also included a Canadian Shops section. If you are a Canadian shop owner, please feel free to post any events, sales, or product blow-outs! Lets support our retailers!

This is not the slickest windsurfing website on the internet and I am just getting the hang of administering these forums. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please drop me a line.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Dave
WindsurfCanada Admin

Good luck

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Good luck to you Windsurf Canada!

I hope you can carve yourself a niche in the busy windsurfing forum market. Build it and they will come said Kevin Costner!

I cruise a number of forums: Starboard (OK, but not very funny), rec.windsurfing (a classic) and windsurfing quebec (very good, but quite local, mostly in French, but English-friendly, most effective classified section I've ever seen).

Forums tend to be more effective when they have a regional aspect. You meet people on the forum, see them on local spots, local parties, etc.

You may think of setting up local forums / threads. Otherwise, you may miss opportunities for local contributions. When I go to Kingston, or Georgian Bay, I'd love to chat beforehand with some locals. It'd be nice if your forum made it easy.

There is a French proverb that says: \"Who embraces too much kisses poorly\". Canada is quite an armful!

By the way, your logo looks like a Petro Canada sign. Opportunity for sponsorship?

Re: Good luck

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:33 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]
You may think of setting up local forums / threads. Otherwise, you may miss opportunities for local contributions. When I go to Kingston, or Georgian Bay, I'd love to chat beforehand with some locals. It'd be nice if your forum made it easy.
quote]

But if the forum were chopped up into regional sub-sections I think you would be spreading the community too thin, at least in the beginning. If the forum grows and has good membership I could see them adding a regional section.

But rec. is worldwide posters and I benefit from all the input. When a location specific topic comes up I can visit it or not.

If you want to ask about Georgian Bay, please do as I can lend some input in this regard!!

But I like the initiative. I will try and check back in often, but I am a bit of a lurker.

dig the logo!

ajarchie
WSC Contributor

Postby ajarchie » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:33 am

Great site..and the logo is not bad at all!
I hope this takes off.

Send an email to Steve Slaby (He runs the Ottawa windsurfing site). I am sure he'd swap links with you.

FISH
WSC Local

Link added to KBA site

Postby FISH » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:14 pm

I added a link to this forum on the KBA site in the news section and also in the menu under community... hopefully it will draw some attention. May I recommend also posting a notice to the Windsurfing Quebec forum? Their forum gets TONS of use!!!

KBA: http://www.geocities.com/kingstonboardsailing/index.htm
WQ: http://www.windsurfing.qc.ca/
FISH
KC-79

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:07 pm

Fish, thanks for the link. I liove the Webcam, thats pretty cool. Wish TWC had a webcam, would save me some fruitless (windless) trips to the beach.

I noticed the QC site is really busy and seems to be all french. My french is not that good which is why I have hesitated on posting a link there...think you could for us?

PS. I was sailing again on Sunday. Very very windy from the SW. I was on a 9.8 and others were on 7.5 down to 5.5....(my buddy snagged my smaller sail) needless to say I didnt last too long.

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:40 pm

Good on ya for getting out there. I am keen too, but will wait for some slightly warmer weather and all the icebergs to clear out.

My french is equally bad... I post on the WQ website once in a blue moon and usually get little response, but no worries - I think most of them are just keen fun loving sailors who are much more dedicated to the sport than most of us other folks. So, they probably welcome it! Post away! Its pretty cool how into it they are... Wish we had some of that energy here in Kingston. I have been going to Les Iles de la Madeleine at the end of the summer for the past few years, and let me tell you how keen they are! And there are a ton of kick-ass sailors in Quebec!

Regarding the webcam - let me clarify: I AM THE WEBCAM. We don't really have one. I pretty much pass by Emily St launch a few times a day and usually just snap a few pics while I am there. Part of the beauty of Kingston is the fact that the water is never more than 5-10 minutes away - usually less. I only do this when the ice is clearing out to declare the sailing season open! Which is pretty much in the next few days. Just some lumps of ice around shore.

Take it easy...
FISH
KC-79

Joe

Great Forum

Postby Joe » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:20 pm

Dave - great job with the forum.
Who is the software provider - what is the cost?

(I am thinking about this for our compnay)

Thanks
Joe

KC5555
WSC Local

Postby KC5555 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:20 pm

Joe,

It is a php forum and it is freeware. there is a link at the bottom of the page to the website.

http://www.phpbb.com

Let me know how you make out!

Dave

formula:B
WSC Contributor

groovy update

Postby formula:B » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:16 pm

DB! Jolly good job on the update - local surf community needs mo cats like You.
btw u r correct SIR - 12.5 is just too big.... 11.0 in 6+ knots and thats the min for any knd of fun ::) is the absolute (for now).... optimal rig (110% Crbn evrythng....inc booties) ..hmm wish i had the $ for that upgrade.

spnkg of updates your site needs (more, some. any ? pleez ) bikinis.
unabashedly formula:B

old whitey
WSC Local

Re: Welcome to Windsurf Canada's Forums

Postby old whitey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Nice to see/read so many sailors interested in keeping things interesting. Fish you always amaze me with your stoke.
Just wanted to say that anyone coming to the County (Sandbanks) just drop me a message and I will let you know where to sail. SBX is great NW to SW but there are some other spots (especially in E or SE) that will offer as good as it gets in Ontario. There is a launch for EVERY wind direction down here (longest drive - 20 minutes) and good wave spots for most.

I also know where to go when it's doming - the wind comes off the land in a couple of spots and alows sailing when the SBX is glass. There will be a couple of us out Sun/Mon I'm sure.

O.W.

sandman
WSC Local

Postby sandman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm

I think you're doing a great job dave. Keep it up man.
Where were you Sailing last Sunday? You should post your sessions!

mark4
WSC Rookie

Postby mark4 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:02 am

Windsurfing equipment for Moulay Bouzerktoun Kids.
Please help us to support Moroccan Young Guns via "Rent a Car" affiliate. See Moulay kids Home Made Rigs Gallery and learn, how does it work:))
ImageImage

Daisy221
WSC Rookie

Postby Daisy221 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 am

Hello there! I am Daisy from Alabama, i am freelance writer & blogger in dissertationhomework and newbie in this community .