Sauble Beach launch?

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
fastback3268
WSC Rookie

Sauble Beach launch?

Postby fastback3268 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if there is a spot a Sauble Beach where it is best to windsurf? I have been there often when not windsurfing and wonder where I would sail besides anywhere along the beach. It would be nice to go to a spot where other windsurfers were sailing. Any input would be appreciated.
AK

joe_windsurfer
WSC Local

Re: Sauble Beach launch?

Postby joe_windsurfer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:18 pm

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/p/wind ... treal.html

"Ausable Point/Lac Champlain: This is near Ausable Chasm which is a site worth visiting with the family in any case. I took exit 34 from the south, but apparently you can take exit 35 coming from the North of 15/87 and then head East. The launch site is in the campground section and has NO parking for day trippers. So, the anticipation is that you drop off your gear. It cost me $8 and I was not going through that and so , got the okay from the life guard to launch off to the side of the swimmers. There are times I am sure when both sections are busy. They say N and S winds, but i would venture NW to S is good. Personally, I was disappointed in launch site(s). Could just as well have parked along the road that is the park entrance and launched from there for free."

fastback3268
WSC Rookie

Postby fastback3268 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you for the info Joe.
I will post about the spot if I ever go there. My request actually was for Sauble Beach in Ontario.
I visited Lake Champlain and the Ausauble Chasm years ago and it is a beautiful place. There had been heavy rains and the Chasm was quite a sight.
Cheers AK

joe_windsurfer
WSC Local

Postby joe_windsurfer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 pm

that's too funny
cuz au sauble in french means at sauble beach :-)

sauble beach on Lake Huron looks VERY doable with a BIG beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETg7nERelo0

Patrick
WSC Contributor

Postby Patrick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Hello AK. I windsurf about 20 minutes south of Sauble, in the Southampton and Port Elgin area. I sailed Sauble a couple times many years ago, maybe I can help.

What is your skill level, what kind of conditions are you looking for, and where would you be coming from?
May the wind be with you!

Patrick

fastback3268
WSC Rookie

Postby fastback3268 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the response.

I will be coming from the Allenford area. I would be looking for anything from slalom to bump and jump to waves. As for my skill level I would say old intermediate. I have windsurfed for almost 30 years and have sailed in Hatteras, the Gorge, Maui and have sailed a lot on Georgian bay. For the last few years I have not sailed much and when I did it would have been big slalom board 7.5 m sail stuff. Me showing up on a big day at Sauble will be interesting.
Thanks, Andrew

Patrick
WSC Contributor

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey Andrew, I will try to send you a private message.
May the wind be with you!

Patrick

jkennedy22
WSC Contributor

Postby jkennedy22 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Sauble Beach can be a great wave spot due to the almost 180 degree fetch angle. Any wind more than 15kts from the West half of the compass will make waves (which is the half that strong winds come from 80+% of the time). You'd only get flatter water with an offshore-ish direction. I know the kiters love the flatter water at Oliphant but might be too shallow for windsurf? Haven't been there...
When I lived closer I used to pick my spot based on wind direction, due to the "C" shape of the beach. South end less onshore in WSW and North end less onshore on a WNW (usually on Georgian Bay on NW though since closer). Only saw other windsurfers there a couple times, always plenty of kiters.

fastback3268
WSC Rookie

Postby fastback3268 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Thank you for the insight J. It makes sense to gauge the spot on the wind direction versus the "c" shape.

Joe
WSC Contributor

Postby Joe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:23 am

Try Red Bay.
One of my favorite spots to sail in Ontario.
Good wind (for Ontario! - seems to get a thermal bump across the peninsula), nice blue water, warm and shallow, and no shorebreak due to fishing islands offshore. You'll probably see a few other windsurfers out there too in the summer.

Joe

fastback3268
WSC Rookie

Postby fastback3268 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 am

Joe
Thank you for the advise. I have visited there before (non-sailing). It is on my list.
Andrew