1rst Time Foiling

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
Robesy
WSC Contributor

1rst Time Foiling

Postby Robesy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments about foils. Went for the Naish because it seemed to fit what I was looking for - lower wind, stable, easy to learn. Think Silent Sports is getting a bunch of the Pryde boards/foils in mid-July at really good prices.

Went for first session over Canada Day weekend in Kingston. 10-14 knots according to KYC sensor. Poorly rigged 6.4 North Duke (forgot proper extension).

Very fun - getting flying is not too hard. If you can plane, you can fly. Once flying its different. Super sensitive to any change in foot pressure. Quiet. Board super loose. Can change direction with very little effort. Staying flying a challenge but should come with practice. A lot like learning to plane.

I think foiling is way better than windsurfing in 10-14 knot wind. Will get me more time on the water in conditions I wouldn’t go out in or would need an 8.5 sail. I could have used my 5.8 (properly rigged) and been fine.

Patrick
WSC Contributor

Re: 1rst Time Foiling

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 pm

"I think foiling is way better than windsurfing in 10-14 knot wind. Will get me more time on the water in conditions I wouldn’t go out in or would need an 8.5 sail. I could have used my 5.8 (properly rigged) and been fine"

Sounds like fun! But I doubt I could waterstart a 5.8 in 10-14 knots.
May the wind be with you!

Patrick

Robesy
WSC Contributor

Postby Robesy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

Super fun, a little hard to control flying but everyone I talk to says it just takes 4 or 5 sessions to get used to flying.

My board is "uphaulable" if that's a word so haven't thought about waterstarting. I have heard or read about people kicking the foil when trying to waterstart so am avoiding that for now.

Overall if the options for sailing are big board, big sail (8.5) and great technique (which I dont really have) or 120 litre board, 5.8 sail and my ok technique, then going to do the latter.

TommyB
WSC Rookie

Postby TommyB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Good on you with your first time foiling. I have ordered a NP RS One Foil from Silent Sports. $700.
Was going to build my own foil, but it was going to take too long and still cost a significant amount of money.
Just sourcing a 130L to 150L board for my large 200lb frame! Then I am in business!!

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow, sounds like fun.
Do you think it would work well with my formula board 162L.
Have not looked at the pricing of foils much but $700 for the rs:one seem alright? Seems like they are becoming more affordable.
Has anyone tryed bigger sails with a foil say around 10m.