Sail repairs

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
Steelyman
WSC Rookie

Sail repairs

Postby Steelyman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:42 am

Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair a couple of Mistral sails where the stitching has come apart. These sails are Mylar on one side, don't want to spend tons as they are not worth much. Ottawa or Toronto area would be best , thnks

fathom
WSC Local

Re: Sail repairs

Postby fathom » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 pm

North Sails in Etobicoke does a very good job at very reasonable price.
Mind you, if you have a mylar Mistral sail, it's likely 30yrs old , you might be better off getting a cheap used 10yrs old sail which will perform a lot better.

MarekBad
WSC Local

Postby MarekBad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:38 am

Good advice above - your old sails may need too much work to be worth the cost, grab something used and enjoy.

WindsofBalsam
WSC Contributor

Postby WindsofBalsam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Agreed. Your old sails are probably not worth repairing as guys are usually giving sails like that away.

Steelyman
WSC Rookie

Postby Steelyman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 am

I hear you & totally understand & a new rig/board is definitely in the near future , however these 2 sails are almost brand new I know the past owner & he never used them . Has anyone heard of a glue or adhesive that might adhere to the Mylar film & band aid these old relects until I can step up to some newer equip ? thnks

Greg Prodan
WSC Rookie

Postby Greg Prodan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi there,

The advice the others gave you was great advice but it sounds like you are going forward with fixing the old sails. I have lots of new gear but tried a 30 year old NP 6.0 sail with a 200plus litre board that didn't have foot straps this summer and it was fuckin' wild! I think you should get those sails fixed for sure!

I brought some sails to a sail and kite repairman named Ken Forsythe a few years ago. He operates out of Collingwood and his business is called K-Force. He is the Hyde Sails dealer or repair rep or something like that. His prices were excellent and the quality of the repairs even better. He did panel replacement and reinforcement stitching on two sails I messed up and they are still some of my favorites in my quiver.

Good luck
Greg
Greg Prodan